Last updated on January 09th, 2021
Madrid is a beautiful and vibrant world city, filled with cultural treasures and commercial activity. Visitors to the city want to see its most interesting buildings and art collections, while finding the best places to eat, to shop and relax.
The following hotels really are the best in the city, many of them historical buildings that have been converted into luxury accommodation. All of these hotels provide guests with modern amenities, and are located at the heart of Madrid life.
Quick Overview – Contents
- The Best Hotels in Madrid
- The Best Boutique Hotels
- Best Hotel with Rooftop Pool
- Best Family Hotels in Madrid
- Best Cheap/Affordable Hotel
- Best Value Hotels in Madrid City Centre
- Best Hotels in Barrio de Salamanca
- Top Hotels near Gran Via
- Top Hotels near Plaza Mayor
- Best Hotels in Paseo del Prado (Prado museum)
What are the Best (5 Star Luxury) Hotels in Madrid City Centre ?
6. Catalonia Las Cortes – Great Value
7. Intur Palacio San Martin – Great Value
9. Preciados – Great Value
What are the Best Boutique Hotels in Madrid ?
2. Hotel Orfila
What’s the Best Hotel with Rooftop Pool ?
1. Emperador – Great Value
What are the Best Family Hotels in Madrid ?
1. Room Mate Laura – Great Value/Affordable
2. URSO Hotel & Spa – Luxury
3. Barceló Torre de Madrid – Great Value
What’s the Best Cheap or Affordable Hotel in Madrid City Centre ?
Best Value Hotels in Madrid City Centre
Madrid is composed of a number of districts, all quintessentially Spanish, but each with a character of its own. The majority of visitors to this most vibrant of European capitals head for the central district or “Centro”, since it is a hive of commerce and culture, modern and historical buildings, hotels and restaurants, relaxing gardens and grand streets. The architecture of Madrid is eclectic, with modernistic glass and steel buildings alongside classical and Baroque palaces, a situation that reflects Spain’s long and turbulent history as both a conquering and conquered nation. But amid this turbulence, art and culture have flourished, as witnessed by the wealth of museums and galleries in the Centro. Here, the visitor will find Madrid’s Royal Palace on the Barrio de Latina, with its rooms open to visitors when no official business is taking place. Nearby is the vast and lovely Buen Retiro park, with its collection of plants, classical monuments and boating lake.
Highly Rated Properties in Madrid City Centre
- Catalonia Las Cortes – Good Value
- CoolRooms Atocha – Boutique Hotel
- Only YOU Boutique Hotel Madrid – Good Value
- B&B Hotel Madrid Centro Puerta del Sol – Affordable
What’s the Top Accommodation in Barrio de Salamanca neighbourhood ?
Another significant district of Madrid is the Barrio de Salamanca, just northeast of the Centro. Here, the cost of property is the highest in the capital, reflecting the wealth of its population. Serrano Street, which runs through the district, is reputed to have the most expensive hotels and retail outlets in Spain. With brands such as Loewe, Manolo Blahnik, Cartier and Bulgari in evidence, visitors seeking a serious shopping experience make a beeline for the street. Here, also, is a branch of El Corte Ingles, the famous Spanish department store chain. Visitors needing a break from stores and sightseeing head for Plaza de Manuel Becerra, the location of the leafy and restful Eva Duarte de Peron park and garden, filled with children’s play areas and facilities for less demanding sports. Round off the day with an evening enjoying traditional Spanish dancing at the Tablao Flamenco la Quimera on Sancho Davila Street.
Finest Hotels in Salamanca District
- ICON Casona 1900 by Petit Palace – Good Value
- Heritage Madrid Hotel – Luxury Boutique Hotel
- VP Jardin de Recoletos – Good Value
What are the Top Hotels on Gran Via street ?
Just north of Centro is Gran Via, the city’s most significant street. Running 1.36 km from east to west, visitors will find all Madrid life here, shops, theatres, hotels and restaurants. In the early twentieth century, planners built the Gran Via with the architecture of the time in mind, and sightseers will find interesting sights such as the art deco Telefonica headquarters, and the ornate Secessionist-built Hotel Las Letras.
Outstanding Hotels near Gran Via
- Hyatt Centric Gran Via Madrid – Luxury
- Hotel Atlántico – Good Value
- Petit Palace Triball – Affordable
What’s the Top Accommodation near Plaza Mayor, Madrid’s Main Square ?
The Plaza Mayor could be called the heart of Madrid, the place where it all happens, the markets and open-air festivals, the bullfights and soccer games. A distinctive, three-storied building surrounds this rectangular area, and the public access it via ten named entrances, such as Arca de Triunfo and Toledo. At its centre is a bronze statue of King Philip III of Spain. Many good value hotels are located nearby.
Best Hotels near Plaza Mayor Square
- Petit Palace Posada del Peine – Boutique Hotel
- Petit Palace Plaza Mayor – Good Value
- Francisco I – Affordable
What are the Top Properties on Paseo del Prado Boulevard ?
The Paseo del Prado is Madrid’s main boulevard, and its most historical street. Running from north to south, it is lined with trees and bounded on one side by the Prado park and garden. The Paseo celebrates Spain’s artistic heritage, as it is the location of the monument to Diego Velazquez, and gives its name to the nearby Prado museum, the national gallery of art. The Prado houses paintings by Francisco de Goya and Velazquez, including the famous Las Meninas. Other galleries nearby include the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum, and the Queen Sofia Museum where visitors can find Picasso’s Guernica. The above list explains the best hotels in this location.
Top Hotels near Prado Museum
- NH Collection Madrid Paseo del Prado – Luxury
- NH Madrid Nacional – Very Popular
- Westin Palace Hotel – Luxury
Popular in / near Madrid, Spain
- The Best Area to Stay in Madrid ?
- Hotels near Madrid Airport
- Apartments to Rent in Madrid
- Hotels near Atocha Train Station
- Hotels near IFEMA Exhibition Centre
- Hotels near Parque Warner Park
- Hotels near Real Madrid Football Stadium
- Madrid Marathon Hotels